I am so excited as ‘My Pinch Of Yum’ turns one year old. Yay!!! 🙂
First of all a big thank you to all my 251 followers for following my blog, and for each and every likes, comments and feedback’s i have received. I really appreciate all the love, support and encouragement that i receive from you all. I would love to hear from you all. 🙂
A year back, I had considered my first post – Fish Balls to be a tragedy. Where i wasn’t too sure about hitting the post button that day but it just happened :P. Over the year there is a lot that i have learned. And i would say there’s soo much i still need to. But the best part is YOU, i have met so many like minded people who are so talented in whatever they do- a Writer, a Mom at home, a Foodies,etc. I have made so many friends here and have also learned so much about different cuisine from you all. Thanks for being there with me guys. 🙂 A big thanks to WordPress as well for giving me this platform. And, I look forward for many such celebrations with you all folks.
To celebrate my 1st Blog Anniversary, i decided to make Tiramisu. This Authentic Tiramisu post is also gonna be a part of Lina’s April Challenge. In this challenge we had to select a random no from 1-30, and on selecting a no Lina would reveal us the dish that we have to cook. My no is 8 and i was so happy to receive the dish Tiramisu for this challenge. Tiramisu was on my to-post list since a while, and there would have been no better time than today as i celebrate my blogs 1st Anniversary. And guys, Jhuls @the not so creative cook is gonna Judge this amazing contest. Do visit their Blogs for some amazing recipes if you haven’t done so yet.
Tiramisu is a popular coffee flavoured Italian Dessert. It is made up of lady’s fingers dipped in coffee, layered with the whipped mixture of eggs, sugar and mascarpone cheese, flavoured with cocoa.
Tiramisu are made is different ways these days such as – by using raw eggs, tempered eggs or by using cream. This Tiramisu is made the traditional way – by using raw eggs and no cream at all. Don’t worry you wont feel the rawness of eggs here. It’s the authentic Italian way of making Tiramisu and there are 3 things you need to remember:
- Use Traditional Ingredients only
- Follow Traditional Procedures
- Do not serve it right away. Chill overnight or for at least 8 hours before serving
4 Eggs, yolks and whites separated
250 gm Mascarpone Cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup Castor Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cup Warm Espresso Coffee – Strong
2 tbsp Liquor of your choice – Kalhua/Tia Maria/Chocolate liquor etc
200 gm Savoiardi Biscuits / Lady Fingers – 24 pc apprx
Cocoa, for dusting
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar with an electric bleender until its stiff and pale in colour.
- Gently fold in mascarpone cheese and vanilla extract, until its well combined without any lumps in it.
- In another clean bowl, beat egg whites until very stiff. Gently fold it into the eg yolk-mascarpone mixture, and mix until incorporated.
- Mix coffee and liquor together. (optional – i didn’t add any alcohol)
- Quickly dip the biscuits in coffee for just a second and line the bottom of the 8″ sqaure dish.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over it and then top it with another layer of coffee dipped lady finger biscuits.
- Spread the remaining cream. Cling wrap and Refrigerate it for 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Dust with cocoa powder or choclate shavings, just before serving.
- I have used 3 tbsp of moccona freeze dried coffee powder to make 1 1/2 cup of strong coffee.
- I didnt use any liquor, but you can use kalhua, amaretto, irish cream, rum, brandy etc.
- For vegetarian version, skip eggs and use 2 cups of whipped cream+ Sugar+mascarpone cheese mixture. And follow the recipe for procedure.
- Do not dip the biscuits in coffee for more than a second or it will become soggy.
- Dust with cocoa powder only before serving or it gets soaked up in the cream pretty quickly.
- Its a very easy to make dessert, but just try to plan and make it a day before. As it tastes fantastic if chilled for 12-24 hrs.
- You can assemble Tiramisu in many ways – Fancy glasses, Square baking dish, Round or Rectangle Baking dish etc. I would suggest to assemble in a dish where you can see the layers.
- They also freeze beautifully. And can be defrost just the night before in a refrigerator.
I hope you all enjoy making this easy and authentic tiramisu recipe. Do try them and share the pictures with me if you do. Thanks for your support. I would love to hear from you all.