‘Shrikhand’ is an Indian sweet dish made out of hung yogurt. It is one of the main desserts in Maharashtrian & Gujarati cuisine. Cardamom, Saffron, Almond, Pistachio, Mango, Strawberry, Rose, Chocolate and any other fruit flavor can be used to make this lovely dessert.
Cardamom Saffron and Almond Shrikhand is the most commonly used flavor. Cardamom is a commonly used spice in Indian cooking. It is also used as a home remedy to cure indigestion, nausea, light-headedness, etc.
- 2 cup Plain Yogurt
- 3-4 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Crushed Cardamom seeds
- a pinch of Saffron dissolved in 1 tbsp water (optional)
- 1 tbsp Almond slivers
- Crushed Cardamom
- Almond Slivers
- Hang the yogurt in a muslin cloth in a cool place for approximately 3-4 hours until all the liquid (whey) has drained off.
- Mix together the hung yogurt, sugar, saffron mixture (optional) and cardamom in a bowl and churn using a hand blender.
- Scoop the shrikhand into a serving bowl and garnish with cardamom and almond slivers.
- It is best served with some puris, parathas or as it is as a dessert.