I had recently tried this new ‘Red Rock Delis- Sweet Potato Crisps’, and it was just so fabulous. I had never had a sweet potato chips before, and this one was just so crisp and flavorful that I wasn’t able to stop munching on them. I knew right away that I had to give this a try, and here I am. These sweet potato chips are baked and I would say they are one of the healthy snacks to have, especially when you are craving for the chips. Its just on time for a healthy Diwali snack.
The flavor that I have tried today is ‘Garlic, Rosemary and Paprika’. But believe me guys, these crisps would taste fantastic even with just a dash of salt. The sweetness of the sweet potato does wonders to this chips. I don’t have a mandolin and thus have sliced the sweet potato thinly with a knife. But since my chips are not evenly sliced, some of them are over cooked. So you need to really keep an eye while these goes on the oven. And just flip or remove the ones which are cooked sooner.
I had experimented with this chips couple of times and here are some of the tips and tricks:
- Slice the sweet potatoes very thinly and evenly, as you don’t want some of them to get little overcooked while rest still need to be baked. Thick slices will not yield crispy chips.
- A mandolin is a lifesaver when slicing up super thin veggies, but if you don’t have it then use a sharp knife and slice them evenly thin.
- Many recipes ask to soak these sliced sweet potatoes in warm cornflour water to get crispy chips, but I haven’t tried that yet.
- Place the slices on the wire rack in a single layer.
- You need to bake these chips at lower temperature i.e. 200º C for 45-60 mins and flipping side once in between to make sure they crisp up on both sides.
- Some chips that are too thick at few spots might not crisp up so well. Don’t worry it still tastes good. And its all a matter of practice in slicing them right.
- Baking time might vary with different ovens. So all you have to do is bake at lower temperature until the chips are crisp and golden. It could take around 1.5 hours to some of you. But the end result is what matters. I would suggest peeking-in to check if there’s any few chips that needs your attention.
Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy!!
1 medium Sweet Potato
4 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Rosemary powder
Salt to taste
- Heat the oven to 200º C. Set a wire rack on a large baking tray.
- Clean the sweet potato well and you do not have to remove the skin as it adds to the crunch.
- Thinly and evenly slice the sweet potato on a mandolin or a sharp knife.
- Brush each side of the potato slice with olive oil and place on the baking tray. Sprinkle generously with the garlic powder, salt, paprika and rosemary or the seasoning of your choice.
- Place the slices on the wire rack in a single layer. Bake for about 45-60 minutes, flipping the chips halfway through baking, until golden and crisp.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Serve them as it is or with any dip of your choice.
- Store them in an air tight container.