Its time for some roasted chicken, glazed with the spiced maple sauce. Golden, Shiny and Succulent, this crowd pleasing roast chicken will surely be the star of your Christmas table. Its sweet, tangy, spicy and gonna burst with flavours, with each bite you take.
This whole chicken which is around 2 kg will feed 4-7 guests, depending on what else you are serving. The steps to follow to roast this chicken is:
- Prepare the spiced maple glaze. This glaze can be made the day before.
- Clean the chicken and dry off the skin properly. Dry skin = crispy chicken skin.
- Truss a chicken or tie the legs/drumsticks together firmly, and tuck the wings underneath the body before roasting. This helps the chicken to cook evenly and prevents the wings and legs from burning during roasting or grilling.
- Preheat the oven and baste the chicken liberally, both under and over the chicken. Basting is the real secret to a successful roast chicken. Do baste the chicken every 15-20 mins.
- Roast the chicken for an hour until its golden, tender and cooked to perfection. Always use a roasting pan with a rack to allow air to circulate entirely around the chicken, to get a crispy top and bottom.
I came across this spiced maple glaze recipe at Woolworths Magazine. Originally the glaze was used to bake the leg ham, but I opted for chicken. Turkey is another better option for the Christmas feast.
Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!
Thanks for stopping by.
1 Whole Chicken, around 2 kg approx (you can use Whole Turkey as well)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
For the Spiced Maple Glaze:
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, fine chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Instant Coffee Granules
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt to Taste
To make the glaze:
- Heat oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add red onions and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add all the spices and stir until fragrant.
- Dissolve instant coffee in a cup of boiling water. Add it to the spices in the saucepan.
- Now add sugar and maple syrup, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in red wine vinegar and simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by half and become thick and sticky. (If you cook further then you would get a jam like consistency)
- Cool to room temperature before using.
- Store in a sterilized jar and the glaze should stay fresh for 2 weeks. Refrigerate once used.
To roast the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 450° F with rack in the center.
- Trim the excess fat around the chicken cavity, then rinse and thoroughly dry the chicken.
- Season the chicken all over with salt, pepper and lemon. Keep aside for an hour. (optional)
- Brush half of the spiced maple glaze generously under and over the chicken.
- Truss the chicken firmly with twine, and tuck the wings underneath the body before roasting. This helps the chicken to cook evenly and prevents the wings and legs from burning during roasting or grilling. Link: Learn How to Truss a Chicken.
- Roast the chicken for about 1 hour in a roasting pan with rack. Baste the chicken every 15-20 mins, by using the spoon and tilting the pan to collect all the juices and then spoon it on top of the chicken. Also remember to keep turning the pan every time you baste.
- Roast for an hour or until its golden in colour and well cooked, or the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer into a cutting board. Allow the chicken to rest for 10 mins before slicing or serving it.
- Serve along with corn cobs, roasted potatoes or any salad/side of your choice.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #mypinchofyum. Your feedback and suggestions have always been precious, please leave me an email at email@example.com.
Thanks for stopping by.