The word Bhuna refers to a type of curry in which spices are cooked in oil with no water. Whereas Murgh means Chicken. Bhuna Gosht is a very popular Pakistani dish where meat is slow cooked for long hour in its own juice with whole spices, sliced onions and ghee; until the meat is tender and you get a thick, deep red, luscious and aromatic gravy. Bhuna Murgh is best enjoyed with naan, roti or pulao.
- 600 gm Chicken, cut into medium pieces (on bone or thigh fillet)
- 4 Big Onions, fine sliced
- 2 Big Tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3/4 cup Thick Yogurt, whisked
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chili powder
- 2 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger, sliced
- Salt to Taste
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds / Shah Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mace
- 1.5 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Bay leaf
- 6 Dry Red Chili, break into 3 pieces
- 6 Green Cardamon
- 6 Cloves
- 6 Black Pepper
- 2 Black Cardamon
- 1 tbsp Ginger Sliced
- 1 tbsp Fried Onions
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- Heat oil and ghee in a large wok or handi.
- Add the whole spices and allow it to crackle for few seconds.
- Add Onions and fry till they are soft and translucent.
- Now add the ginger-garlic paste and saute them till golden.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces and saute on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in all spice powders such as turmeric, chili powder, salt and coriander powder.
- Add tomatoes and mix well.
- Cover and simmer for half an hour. Stir in intervals and add little water only if required, as we want the meat to be cooked in its own juices.
- After 30 mins, add the whisked yogurt and ginger Julienne. Mix and cook until chicken is tender.
- Turn the flame high and fry/saute the gravy until oil starts oozing out from the sides. At this point you will get the deep-red thick gravy clinging to the chicken pieces, and oil floating on the top. Do not over cook.
- Garnish with fried onions, sliced ginger and coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti, naan, chapati or pulao. Enjoy the deliciousness.
If you like this recipe , then do give it a quick try and don’t forget to share your feedback and pictures with me. Your feedback and suggestions have always been precious, please leave me an email at email@example.com.
Thanks for stopping by.