Thai Basil Chili Chicken has always been a contender for the most popular street food in the Thai Cuisine. And this is my attempt to make a veg version of it. 🙂 A month back one of my blogger friend Sonal Gupta from simplyvegetarian777 had invited all her blogger friends for a virtual party, where we were invited to share any of our vegetarian recipes. Hence i came up with this recipe that time. Though i managed to cook n take some pictures, i was not able to participate or post my recipe that time.
The Soy Granules are stir fried with the Thai Holy Basil & the freshly hand-grounded Garlic and Red Thai Chilies. You can serve it on top of the Jasmine Rice or wrap it in a Lettuce Leaf just the way i did. Any which ways it tastes simply awesome. 🙂
- 1 cup Soy Granules
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 4-5 Red Thai Chilies
- 2 tbsp Onions, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- a handful of Thai Holy Basil
- Hot Water
- Cos Lettuce
- Spring onion for Garnish (optional)
- Soak soy granules in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and squeeze out any excess water.
- Coarsely ground peeled garlic and thai chilies in a mortar and pestle.
- Pluck Basil leaves off the stems. Clean and keep it aside.
- Take oil in a wok and keep the gas on high-medium flame.
- When the oil is very hot, add the chili and garlic. Stir fry for 20 second until fragrant. But see to it you do not burn it.
- Add onions and sautee for a minute until translucent.
- Toss in the soy granules and stir fry for couple of minutes.
- Add the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar and salt. Keep stir frying for another minute.
- Toss a handful of thai holy basil and immediately off the gas.
- Serve Thai Soy Basil on top of the rice or just wrap it in a lettuce leaf and Enjoy!!.
- You can substitute Soy Granules with any minced meat. Also add a teaspoon each of the oyster sauce and the fish sauce.
- You don’t have to fill too much soy basil in one lettuce leaf. I did, coz i let my son do that for me. 😉