Today we celebrated Father’s Day here in Melbourne, and as my hubby likes most of the cakes that is served without any frosting. I finally decided to make this trio flavor marble cake for him.
This cake has 3 distinct flavors – strawberry, chocolate and vanilla, which is made individually but mixed together in a marbled effect. It is really simple to make and looks so amazing when sliced.
I am also attaching few pics of the card that we had made (I & my son) as a gift from Kian to his Dad, at the end of this post. 🙂 It was really fun and little crazy to involve my boy on this activity, as he demanded to do everything on his own with any help. Hehe.. I let him color the whole page black and when he was tired and done, I finally did all the finishing and cuttings.. 😉
For the Base – Vanilla Cake:
- 2 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2/3rd cup Butter (soft, cut into cubes)
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 300 gm Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
For Strawberry Swirl:
- 1/2 cup Strawberry (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2-3 tbsp Water
- 3-4 drops of Pink Food-Color
For Chocolate Swirl:
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Melts (coarsely chopped)
- 2 tsp Cocoa Powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients – the flour, baking powder and baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar on medium speed, using the hand blender for two minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beat after every addition. Mix sour cream and vanilla essence into it.
- Now, slowly add the dry mixture into this butter mixture and beat on low until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly into three separate bowls.
- Strawberry Swirl: Take strawberries, sugar and little water in a saucepan and cook for 5-10 minutes on low-medium flame until the strawberries have become soft and formed a think paste. Let it cool for a while. Add the strawberry mixture and pink food color into one of the vanilla cake batter bowls. Stir just until combined.
- Chocolate Swirl: Over a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the dark chocolate melts until smooth. Mix in the unsweetened cocoa powder and let the mixture cool slightly. Using a wooden spoon, lightly mix in the melted chocolate into the second bowl of vanilla cake batter.
- Now there should be one bowl with plain vanilla cake batter, one bowl with chocolate batter, and one bowl with strawberry batter.
- Drop alternate large spoonfuls of mixture into the pan. Swirl mixture with a skewer to create a marbled effect. Bake for around 1 hours or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- You can top it with your choice of frosting or dust some powdered sugar or just serve as it is, the way I did. Enjoy!!
- You can use 2 tablespoon of strawberry jam/preserve plus few drops of pink food color if strawberries are not available.
- Since the color of my strawberry paste cooked was so bright i added just 1-2 drop of pink color. But i think 3-4 drop was required, so accordingly did the changes.
Thanks for stopping by. Have a lovely week ahead. 🙂