Fenugreek leaves or Methi leaves is one of the common ingredient used in Indian cooking. They are subtly bitter but offers a very strong and distinctive flavor to any recipe. The fenugreek seeds and the fresh leaves are usually cooked with any vegetables of your choice or with lentils. Whereas, the dry leaves popularly known as ‘Kasuri Methi’ are used to give additional flavor to many dishes.
I usually use the fresh leaves from my garden to cook Methi Chicken, but this time i have got it from the store. It is not easily available here and you will find them only in some of the Indian Stores. This is one of the first chicken curry i had first cooked after watching it in some TV show. And ever since then i have made a lot of variations in my methi chicken and now i have finally settled with this one since quite a some time. Chicken and Methi really compliment each other well. And, this rich, creamy and flavorful methi chicken is an all time favorite at our house and even the last drop of gravy is licked out clean. Eww, i know 😛 🙂
- 700 gm Chicken Thigh Fillets (cut into medium pieces)
- 1 bunch Fresh Methi Leaves (soak cleaned leaves in water with some salt and sugar for 20 mins, and squeeze out all the water and keep aside)
- 2 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 large Onion (sliced and sauteed in 1 tbsp of oil until nicely caramelized and cool)
- 1/4 cup Yogurt
- 1 large Tomato Pureed
- 2 tsp Coriander and Cumin Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 10 Cashewnut (soak and make a paste)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Marinate the chicken pieces with 1 tbsp of ginger-garlic paste, turmeric and salt to to taste.
- Make a paste of browned onions and yogurt and keep aside.
- Heat a tbsp of oil, add the soaked and squeezed out methi leaves and saute for 7-8 mins or till they turn crisp on low-medium flame. Remove and keep aside.
- Now take the remaining oil in the same vessel, add ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3 mins.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 5-6 mins till the oil separates. Add chili powder, coriander and cumin powder and combine.
- Stir in the onion and yogurt paste and cook for further 4-5 mins.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces and cook for 3 mins. Now lower the flame and cook covered for further 7-8 mins, until chicken is ¾th cooked.
- Add the cashew paste, crisp methi leaves (reserve some for garnish), garam masala powder, sugar and combine everything well.
- At this point check the taste and adjust the seasoning as required. Add some water to get the gravy consistency of your choice and cook till the chicken turns soft. It should be a thick creamy gravy.
- Serve hot with rice, roti or naan.