I am very much fond of Thai food and do try to make Thai Recipes at home. So, thought of sharing few Thai recipes this time. And thus after posting my favorite Tom Kha Gai soup recipe it was time for some Appetizer / Stir Fry.
This is one tasty stir-fry, packed with Thai basil leaves, with just enough chili to make things exciting and some roasted peanuts for an awesome crunch.
I tried looking for a recipe at net for a good veg chili basil stir fry. But, most of them were having fish sauce or chicken or beef. So I decided to cook a veg version of my all time favorite chicken chili basil stir fry recipe. I will post the recipe for my chicken chili basil recipe some other time. As i am a lil fussy veggie eater, I have included most of my favorite veggies in this stir fry. 😉 Btw, you can try using Bok Choy and Chinese broccoli too. I have added a little coconut cream in this stir fry and trust me it really boosts the flavour and gives a nice creamy touch. 🙂
Thank you for visiting.
150 gm Button Mushroom (cut into half)
100 gm Tofu / Paneer (cut into cubes or long)
8 – 10 Baby Corn
8 – 10 Snow Peas
6 – 8 Beans (I didn’t use as i didn’t have it at home)
1 medium Shallot / Onion (sliced)
1 Carrot (cut into thick long pieces)
1/2 Capsicum (cut into thick long pieces)
1/3 cup Roasted Peanuts (mildly crushed)
1/4 cup Basil
2 Kaffir Lime (chopped)
5 Thai Red Chili
8 cloves Garlic (peeled)
1 tsp Ginger (sliced)
1 tsp Cumin (coarsely crushed)
2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Sriracha / Red Chilli Sauce
1 tbsp Brown Sugar
3 tbsp Thick Coconut Milk or Cream (optional)
1 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil / Vegetable Oil / Sesame Oil
- Coarsely pound garlic and chilies in a mortar and pestle. Cut all the vegetables and keep aside.
- Heat your wok on high, and add oil to it.
- When oil is hot add chilly and garlic. Stir fry for 10-20 sec until they are fragrant. Do not let it burn or dry.
- Add sliced shallots, ginger and cumin and stir fry for 30 sec.
- Toss in mushrooms and baby corn, and stir fry for 3-4 mins or until they are partially cooked.
- Now add beans and carrot, sautee for a min. Add rest of the veggies i.e. tofu, capsicum, snow peas and salt to taste and stir fry till all the veggies are 3/4th cooked.
- Stir in soy sauce, sriracha, brown sugar, coconut cream and kaffir lime. And, continue to stir fry for another 2 mins.
- Do a taste check now and adjust the seasoning as required. Add in the Thai basil leaves and cook for further 30 sec.
- Switch off the gas. Garnish with crushed roasted peanuts, fresh basil and lil sliced chilies.
- Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!!
- Always stir fry on medium to high heat. And never over cook your veggies. It will become soggy.
- Some veggies might leave water but don’t worry, as it will get evaporated as you keep stir frying for more mins.
- Keep you rice ready before you start with your stir fry. It’s best served immediately and hot.
- Thai chilies are quite spicy so kindly reduce the chilly if you prefer mild or medium spicy.