Chicken Manchow soup is one of the popular Indo-Chinese Soups served in the Indian Restaurants. It is, also, a popular street food – and, what better than a hot delicious soup served on a cold and rainy day. Ahhh!! It’s been such a cold and rainy week here and after a whole lot of shopping and lunching out on Mother’s Day, I was in no mood to cook dinner. 😛 Thus, I just made my favorite Chicken Manchow Soup and grilled the Chicken Tikka Kebabs, which I had marinated the previous night. 😉 🙂
300 gm Chicken Breast Fillet (cut into 3-4 pieces)
3 tbsp Garlic (fine)
1 tbsp Ginger (fine)
2 Green Chili (fine)
1/4th cup Onion (fine)
1/3rd cup Mushroom (fine)
1/4th cup Carrot (fine)
1/4th cup Beans (fine)
1/4th cup Cabbage (fine)
1/8th cup Capsicum (fine)
1 tbsp Hot Chili Sauce
2-3 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
2 tsp Vinegar
1/2 tsp Sugar (optional)
1 tsp Pepper Powder
1 tbsp Oil
4.5 cups Water or Chicken stock or Veg stock
4 tbsp Cornflour (dissolve it in 2.5 tbsp water to form a thick paste)
2 -3 tbsp Spring onion (fine) – For Garnish
1/4th cup Fried Noodles – For Garnish (optional)
- Lets make the chicken stock:- In a pressure cooker take chicken breast fillet, 2 garlic cloves, 1/4th onion, 5 cup water and salt to taste. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles and then off the gas and keep aside. Meanwhile, start cutting your veggies. Once the pressure is released open the pressure cooker and remove the chicken carefully from the broth and filter the stock. Shred the chicken and keep aside.
- Now, finely chop all the veggies and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic, ginger and green chili and give a stir for 1 min. Add onions and sautee for a minute.
- Add mushrooms and fry on high till it slightly browned.
- Now add the carrots, beans, cabbage and capsicum. Stir fry the veggies for 3-4 mins and add soy sauce, chili sauce, pepper powder. Stir well.
- Add 4.5 cups of chicken stock which we had strained and kept aside. Bring the soup to boil and then simmer for 2-3 minutes. Now add vinegar and salt (add very little salt as chicken stock and soy sauce already has a lot of salt in it).
- Add the cornflour paste to the soup and stir well. This will help to thicken the manchow soup. (add more cornflour paste if required to thicken the soup)
- Now check the taste kindly adjust the seasonings like soy sauce, pepper powder, vinegar or salt as required.
- In a bowl take 1 egg and beat it well. Now very slowly pour the egg into the soup and at the same time with the help of a fork make slow circular movements in the soup. ( this is done to mix and make the eggs form into threads. As that’s the right texture required for the soup) Note: you will get big lumps of eggs in your soup, if you don’t constantly mix.
- Further cook for a minute and off the gas. Your Chicken Manchow Soup is ready to be served.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls. Garnish with some fried noodles and spring onions on the top.
- Serve hot immediately.
- While making vegetable manchow soup, you can skip step 1 and use vegetable stock or water for the recipe. Just don’t use chicken, chicken stock and egg. You can also add some tofu instead of chicken if required.
- If you want to use water for making the soup. then skip step one and sautee thinly sliced chicken pieces along with onions and mushrooms. And just use 4.5 cups water in place of the chicken stock.
- To make fried noodles – First cook 1/4th cup noodles in water normally. Strain and pat dry the noodles. Now deep fry it in hot oil. Fried noodles is ready to be used as a garnish.
- Kindly adjust the seasoning before adding the egg. If your soup has become extra thick then add some water and stir well.
- The veggies/chicken and water/stock proportion I keep for my soup is 1:2.
Thanks for Visiting. 🙂