Firstly, I would like to wish every MOM out there a very ”Happy Mothers Day”.
Now coming back to the food, ‘Mexican’ is one of the international cuisines that I and my hubby quite enjoy. Around 11 o’clock in the morning, I receive a message from hubby with request for some Mexican Grilled Chicken along with spicy Mexican Red Bean Rice for dinner. Now what made me wonder was, how on earth was he so precise about those Mexican cuisine names that i never prepared.. ha ha ha.. Well, I have made Chicken Fajita before, but I had no clue about how the Mexican rice would be. After searching for the recipe online, I finally settled with the recipe from www.damndelicious.net. I made a few changes in the recipe as the original recipe was for regular Mexican rice. Remember?? my hubby had asked for some, ‘Spicy Mexican Red Bean Rice’. ha ha ha.. 😉 I am glad he asked me to make these. It tasted awesome.
2 cups Basmati Rice (soaked in water for half n hour)
3/4th cup Red Kidney Bean (soaked for 4-6 hours)
1 Onion (diced)
4 Garlic cloves (minced)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
4 Tomatoes (blanched, peeled and then puréed) or use 1 Tin of Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup Carrots (diced)
1/2 cup Peas
1/2 cup Corn Kernels
1 tsp Cumin (mildly crushed)
1 tsp Chilli flakes
1/2 tsp Paprika
1 Jalapeno (fine chopped)
1 Tomato (diced)
2 tbsp Coriander leaves (chopped)
2 cups Vegetable Broth
- Take red kidney beans in a pressure cooker and add 1 tsp of salt and 4 cups water. Keep on high flame and wait for the 1st whistle. Now lower the flame and it cook for 10 mins. Now off the gas and keep it aside.
- Now take olive oil in a large skillet and keep on medium flame.
- Add garlic, jalapeno and onion and sautee for 3-4 until translucent. Add basmati rice and fry for 2 more mins.
- Stir in tomato purée and vegetable broth and let it simmer.
- Stir in semi cooked red beans, carrots, corn kernels, peas, chili flakes, paprika, cumin and salt to taste. Bring it to boil.
- Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes, until the rice has fully cooked.
- Now off the gas and stir in chopped tomatoes and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot immediately. I had served Spicy Mexican Red Bean Rice with some Grilled Chicken Fajitas. Here’s the link for it’s recipe – https://mypinchofyum.wordpress.com/2015/05/09/grilled-chicken-fajitas/
Once again, I wish all the lovely mommies a very Happy Mother’s Day. Have a wonderful day. 🙂
Thanks for visiting.